Sunday, November 14, 2010

It's a milk toast morning...for him.

Levi is eating Milk Toast.
Do you know about Milk Toast?

I didn't either. He told me about Milk Toast at the end of our [perfect] week together in Seattle as we were driving back to Utah. "First," he said, "you fill a bowl up with milk, right about halfway. Then," he continued, "you crack two eggs into the milk. You microwave this for 3 to 3 and a half minutes, just until the egg cooks into the milk." At this point I'm getting a little iffy but it still sounds do-able to me. Then, he told me the next step. "While it's in the microwave, you toast and butter two pieces of bread. Still with me?" Not so sure what to expect, I respond with the loudest "..." you've ever heard. He laughs and reassures me that it gets better, then finishes. "Once you take the milk and egg out of the microwave, you mash the egg up into the milk, then you take your toast, tear it up into tiny bits and add that to the bowl. A little salt and pepper and you're ready to enjoy!"

...

His smile starts to fade.

My smile has long since faded [and my throat may be making little gagging sounds].

He's the first one [able] to speak.

"Sounds kind of disgusting when you talk it out, like that, doesn't it?"



The gagging stopped long enough for me to let out a resounding "UGHHHH!" and we both started laughing. Here's the thing with people like me with over-active gag reflexes. Bread doesn't get to touch liquids. It just doesn't happen. You can only imagine how far from good this "Milk Toast" was sounding to me. The first time he made it in front of me was probably about two months after living with him down here and [to my everlasting credit] I did try a bite. Guess what?

It tastes exactly how it sounds.

So to all you people with superhero gag reflexes, to those of you that can go to the dentist and get a mold made of your mouth [you know, the purple stuff] without your eyes watering, to those of you that can let the doctor take a swab of [whatever] from the back of your throat when your glands are all swollen and it doesn't even phase you, to you people?

ENJOY YOUR MILK TOAST.

Today is Sunday and I slept in [a really really really long time]. Sounds lovely but I always have ridiculously dumb and frustrating dreams when I force myself back to sleep after my natural sleep cycle has come to an end. Today it involved horrible jean salesmen, dancing men in frog costumes, single person canoes, and murderous jack-o-lanterns. Levi has been upstairs preparing Fantasy Football for the day and now we're both off to get ready to head over to his dad's for Sunday dinner. Aka: the reason I LOVE this day of the week!

2 comments:

  1. I think it must be an aquired taste. If you grow up with it, it's not so bad (this coming from someone who doesn't even like milk). I used to love it as a kid. But yeah, it sounds pretty dang gross.

    Also, I always have crazy dreams if I go back to sleep after my natural sleep cycle ends, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess you forgot what church is. Yeah, you're supposed to go there on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete