Sunday, November 21, 2010

On a Sunday.

Change.

What comes to mind when you hear that word? Do you puff out your chest and lock your jaw in an effort to tell the world, "I can take it!"? Or do you maybe sulk quietly into the nearest closet and shut the door hoping that no one will notice? Do you shrug your shoulders and brush it off, like it's no big deal?

Come on, people. Everyone likes being comfortable. Everyone likes to know what to expect. It's nice, time and again to have the security of a routine life. When something is different, oh how it tends to throw us off.

Yesterday we [Levi and I of course] were headed down to Fresh and Easy and when we got there Levi parked in a [completely] different parking spot than he usually does. Who does that?! I asked him what we were doing and why we were over here [and really all but threw a hissy fit]. He laughed at me and told me that it made him happy that change was a tough one for me to take, too. I laughed back and reminded him of my lets-take-a-stab-in-the-dark-and-decide-a-boy-is-worth-it-and-move-down-to-Arizona-within-the-week decision. Change? At least big change? I really, usually, tend to adjust pretty well. Levi on the other hand, has a hard time with it. The conversation continued and we started talking about [probably the biggest change in our near or not-so-near future]. Moving to Seattle.

Pause.

Ready for another [quick] background story? Once the week had come to an end and we were headed back to Utah, we were talking and laughing and cuddling and doing everything else you do on a 14 hour road trip with someone you just spent a week learning everything about [and basically falling in love with] and we started talking about "us" and "our dreams" again. [Even though, really, if we're being honest here we really still didn't even know what "us" was]. He started talking about me being a 12 hour road trip away and how hard it was going to be to not be able to see me every day. I started talking about how I wish we could have just stayed in Seattle and made our life there, just life. I'm not sure how it happened. All the sudden Levi was making a promise. No one will ever be able to say that the boy doesn't know how to take a chance. He told me, "I can make things happen. If you move to Arizona? I'll get us to Seattle in six months." Talk about stealing a girls heart. 

As a disclaimer and in my defense [and to save the boy some worry when he reads this to me in about five minutes], I would have come to Arizona anyway. Just being with Levi was definitely enough conviction for me to want to stay in Utah for as short a time as possible. My point of telling that story was solely as a foundation for today's.
 Play.

He talked about how nervous he was about the move. How much of a stretch it was going to be for him. Then, he set his face with a determined look and finished with, "But I'm going to do it. For you. We're going to get there." 

You know the song by Rascal Flatts? God Bless The Broken Road? "Every long lost dream, led me to where you are. Others who broke my heart, they were like northern stars. Leading me on my way, into your loving arms. This much I know is true. That God blessed the broken road, that led me straight to you." I would have walked through fire if I'd known that it was leading toward getting to be with Levi. Getting to be with someone who can make up for me in the areas I lack, and who I can fill the cracks in, too. Whose dreams I can share. Whose dreams we can make happen together. I would have gone through anything to hear that I was helping someone who deserves so much, someone like Levi Roberts, get to where he wants to be. The fact that our dreams correlate so perfectly? Well that's just icing on the cake.


The point is, for this? I would have gone through anything.

SDD this week [Sunday Dinner at Dad's] was traditional. Perfectly shredable roast, mountains of mashed potatoes, enough gravy to soak your roll in. As usual, it was amazing. We stayed after to play poker - in which Levi smoked us all. Then stuck around to chat with our friend Whit for a while. We drove home enjoying the raindrops on the windshield and talked about how lovely it'll be to get to enjoy that up in Washington when we go in 3 days. Now that we're home I'm sitting in Levi's work room with him while he finishes up. We'll probably head downstairs for some Greys Anatomy or Iron Man 2 and leave the door open while we do. You just can't beat the smell of fresh rain mixing itself with the dust of the desert on a Sunday.

3 comments:

  1. I know that smell and I miss it. Nighttime is my favorite time in Arizona, especially in the summer. It's amazing.

    Btw, there is a lot of snow here. Work was canceled for me half way through the day today. Seattle does not do snow. It's kind of freaking out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you guys and I love your story. Thanks for giving me hope in the future. Can't wait to see you in two days.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. You must have forgotton what church is. You're supposed to do that on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete