Thursday, November 11, 2010

We fell asleep.

Last night when Levi and I were all ready for bed, he laid down with his iPod [which he reads news on as he's drifting off each night] and I laid down beside him and wrapped my arm over his side where he held my hand tight and pulled me even closer. Then we fell asleep.

We fell asleep.

Background: Yesterday I wrote about the day I changed the ending of my story. Now let me write about that night. Oh we talked about driving all the way through [Utah to Seattle]. We talked about caffeine and loud music and conversations about life. We talked about it, but our bodies had different ideas. I started to drift and trying to keep him awake got harder and harder. So we stopped. We stopped at the Fairfield Marriott where it hardly seemed decent of me to horde the queen size mattress all to myself when he was the one doing the driving anyway. So yes. Call me crazy, we had barely even held hands yet but I slept with that boy [the one I hadn't seen for two plus years] the first night we were together. That night, I laid down to fall asleep and he wrapped around me and never let go.


I slept for maybe an hour. Mostly? I just laid there with my eyes closed hoping not to wake him up with the sound of my heart pounding in my chest. Mostly I just enjoyed being held. But I didn't sleep.

F a s t f o r w a r d to today. Last night, to be specific. We fell asleep.

Do you get it now? There's a point you reach in relationships, a fork in the road perhaps, maybe just a mile marker, but either way, at some point things can go one of two ways. They either stop working, or they just become life. At some point you stop having to try, you stop having to second guess, you stop having to adjust, and you and he, he and you, it just becomes life. It's comfortable. It's safe. It's natural.

ITS
JUST
LIFE

It's a moment worth getting to.

Today I had work off because of Veterans Day [Katie, who I nanny for is a teacher - her holidays are my holidays]. I finished editing on a photo shoot that I've been needing to deliver. Levi worked some more on his hammock that we're [he's] re-finishing. I watched him play a game of pool with himself. We talked Fantasy Basketball. He told me he loved when I do my eye make-up the way I did it today. We're loving the fact that it's [finally] cold today so we're celebrating by wearing jackets inside. And last but not least, we're listening to "Coming Home" by Diddy and Dirty Money [good luck finding it online but if you do, it's an awesome find].

No comments:

Post a Comment