Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Back to the [lovely] grind!

Well, we finally decided to make it official.

I know you all thought that we'd been home from our Thanksgiving trip for like an entire week or two already, but we're just now feeling it. We finally went out and worked on the patio last night! Yep, that's right people. Everything is finally back to normal in the Roberts household [well, that is if you don't count the suitcase still sitting on the stairs, or the mass of laundry still on the bedroom floor, or the unusually high vacancy rates in the fridge...].  Other than that though, we are OFFICIALLY home.

We needed a pick me up after the Suns game anyway [Boooooo Portland], and really it's been driving Levi a little cray cray having it out there and not making any progress on it. We've had all the edges on the bottom layer laid since before Seattle, so last night after checking and re-checking them a couple times, Levi decided it was indeed time for the next step. Or steps, I should say. I, assuming I'd only be going out for a minute or two just to re-assure him that his plan was solid [I need to stop assuming those kinds of things and just accept that I just can't resist the boy] threw on a jacket and stepped out into the cold. "So what do ya think, babe?"

"So I'm going to sweep all this mud away, then we'll just fill the cracks in with sand. We'll have to sweep it all up again and then, once that's done we spray it down with water so it sets a little bit. Then we can lay the top layer and dig down a little bit around it. We'll be ready for the concrete by the time I wake up and you get home tomorrow afternoon!"

It had to have been either the stunned silence, or the permanent look of shock on my face that made him end with some cover-up about how I don't actually HAVE to help and really I should probably just go to bed... Right. By 1:30 in the blessed AM we had finished filling in the cracks with sand and decided that was enough of an accomplishment for the night!

[I'm not sure how but we always seem to underestimate when we're plotting time for projects like this. Needless to say, it's definitely a boyfriends-old-t-shirt-with-no-makeup-and-a-ponytail kind of a day.]

Definitely worth it. Levi always thanks me for helping like it's something I only do for him. I don't know if he realizes though that I can't help but help! When he gets really excited about something he gets so focused. He'll be going off about the color matching the blinds and the patterns working out so perfectly and I could interject with a "Yeah, and that pink polk-a-dotted elephant is swinging from a tree branch into the lemon-lime marshes of South Africa!" and he'll proceed in agreement and start talking about the pathway to the BBQ without missing a beat. I suppose I would be worried if it wasn't only when he's so fetching excited about something that he can't even contain himself, not to mention even then, he still takes time to stop and hear me say "Yes, I like that idea too!" about the next grand plan of his! As I was following behind him sweeping up the sand he laid, I stood back to look at one point. "It's going to look so good Levi Chell, I'm stoked for you!" He responded with "Us? You're stoked for us?"

Of course that's what I meant. I'm not so sure I've ever felt so a part of something as I feel with that boy.
Have I mentioned I love my life with him? Because I do. So much so, that it's not even weird to me anymore to be itching with excitement just to get home...to get to work.

Which is exactly what we'll be doing today. Along with watching our Fantasy Basketball match up to see if after tonight I'm still kicking his trash as bad as I am now. Wish me luck! [Actually you should probably wish HIM luck...he needs it more than I do!]

2 comments:

  1. We are way past the point where luck can save me now. Who knew that behind that pretty face was a fantasy basketball genius :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see the paito. Sounds awsome.

    Love you guys

    ReplyDelete