Wednesday, December 29, 2010

The Butterfly Effect.

I painted the upstairs today.
Yep.
All of it.
Well.
Practically.
I still have like one wall.
[Geez that's a lot of work.]

Not the point.

The point is, at one point, I was standing in the hallway finishing up some cutting in, and Levi needed to get by. He could have just scooted by, unnoticed. He could have excused me and waited for me to move.

But no.
That's just not Levi.
Levi puts his hands around my waist and slides them around me as he wedges himself through the [tiny] space between me and the wall.
Oh.
And he does the same, on the way back through.

You know what that tells me?
Not much, really.

Just that he's glad I'm here, and that he appreciates me, and that he loves me, and that he's always thinking outside himself.

I stopped for a minute after he passed by the first time and thought about it. I thought about how many butterflies he had made my stomach birth at that moment [I decided at least seven]. Then I thought about the first time he had given me butterflies. [First, my mind threw me into the big black truck on the way to Seattle when he laced his fingers through mine on the back of the seat for the first time. Then, I scratched that because there was a moment three years ago when we were standing in a park Heaven only knows where and for just a minute, our faces were ridiculously close. Those butterflies, had to have ADHD or something.] Back to the hallway. I had just gotten the fluttering to stop, when he passed back through.

The whole process started over again.

Sure it may have taken me a couple extra minutes to finish that particular wall, but considering the way Levi looked at me tonight [in my over-sized tee with my hair all pulled back and all 65 inches of me streaked with paint] as he asked me what I wanted for dinner, I have a feeling I'll be needing to put up with said butterflies for years to come.

Fortunately, that is a butterfly effect, that I am more than happy to handle.

Like I said, I painted today. ALL day. Levi filled holes, and taped, and moved lighting around, and prettied up baseboards, and worked. Then he got me Oreganos Pizza because he's a sweetheart and we sat in his truck and ate it and listened to the rain. We tried to watch the Suns game, but instead got thoroughly depressed, so we turned it off. The rest of the evening will be spent cuddled up, listening to the rain. Because really? You just can't beat the mellow drip dropping of Arizona drizzles.

Disclaimer: Yes, I am fully aware that the human stomach can not ACTUALLY birth butterflies. However, just for the record, I AM in ALL actuality COMPLETELY sure that he will never stop giving me reason to believe that it can. Not only that, but I will, in fact, promise you that with every circumstance, the strength in those little wings? It'll only grow. Why? Umm, have you SEEN my boyfriend?

No comments:

Post a Comment