Sunday, December 19, 2010

Why?

You know those times when you're in the kitchen and you accidentally touch the end of a knife, or you accidentally bump the edge of your hand on a hot burner, or you do something that is really only a "close call" and nothing actually happens but your instincts tell you it almost did and so you can't help but release a little "Ouch!" or "Eek!" or "Dang!"? I do that quite often and every time, without fail, Levi chimes in from the next room, "Are you okay, babe?" and every time, without fail, my answer is the same, "I'm fine!" but I think that maybe if he ever wasn't there to ask, I wouldn't be.

Yesterday was one of my favorites. At one point I pinched my finger in between two pans as I was getting dinner ready and it hurt a little bit. I muttered "Ouch!" without even thinking about it and sure enough, "Babe, are you okay?" from the next room. I told him I was fine as usual [still without thinking about it], but this time he persisted. "Are you sure you're okay? Do you need a kiss?" He was already up heading towards the kitchen and sure enough, he came in and kissed the side of my hand for me.

It's not that I'm pathetic or paranoid or constantly expecting him to save my life, but life if he didn't ask? It would be like trying to eat toast without butter. Or s'mores without the marshmellow. Or cheesecake without the graham cracker crust! Because that simple little question, is all the care and love and devotion that he constantly shows me all rolled up into four little words.


That feels like a bottom line to me. You know, it's what "it all boils down to". When people ask me why I'm so happy with Levi or why I love him so much I never know where to start. I never know how to answer their question without holding them unwillingly hostage for hours on end. [See Can't Blame The Girl For Being Excited] Now, I know what to say.

It's because he asks.

It's Sunday and it was also playoffs in fantasy football and I lost. It was also Levi's first loss in Fantasy Basketball. Not a good night in the Roberts household. However...tomorrow starts a two week long break for this girl. Gonna try and get lots of painting done upstairs! Oh and dinner tonight was pasta and it was amazing, plus on the way home Levi and I talked about how when I'm home we get to go everywhere together and how much we love it. I guess it's not SUCH a bad night... Okay, it really never is.

No comments:

Post a Comment