Thursday, March 24, 2011

Today I Love plus a little reminder.


Today I love: that I never have to put the toilet seat down, and really that he keeps the bathroom super clean all by himself [C'mon girls, I know we love them but we all have to admit that that's a rare find in the male species!]. That being said...I love bathrooms that smell like chemicals and nothing else. I also love that it took the boy thirty[plus] minutes just to get through the blog last night because he kept having fits of laughter over his own dance moves! I love that he gets a kick out of himself. That means I don't have to be quite so entertaining.

Today WE love: rice packs. [Def. Rice Pack: N. A fabric rectangle, sewed to another fabric rectangle, with rice inside. Can be kept in the freezer and taken out and placed over your face when migraines occur.] By the way, this is a WE love, because boy wouldn't be half as happy having to put up with my [stupid] migraines if I didn't have rice packs to calm me down. Cause guess what we don't love and don't feel the least bad saying it? Migraines, people. We don't love migraines.

Now. Because I have a migraine...I really don't feel like taking a picture today. That's good news for you because that means instead you get to hear the story of that man up there. He sits on the side of America West Arena and he [as typically happens on that side of town] asked us if we had some change for him. Neither of us had any on us at the time [I know that "that's what they all say" but really! We didn't!] but instead of giving us a dirty look and moving on to the next folk, he asked if I would take a picture of him. That's a question I'll never answer no to, so I raised my camera, but I was hesitant. SHAME on me for judging him in my head and assuming he would look dramatically off into the distance with some horrid pity-me face to make me feel even worse for not having change. He lifted his head up, looked straight at me and smiled his big toothy grin. After a quick conversation about what I was going to do with it, and a few questions about what "the 26 percent" was and how to find it, he smiled excitedly and we walked on. [Now watch me tie this into a "Today I Love" post.] I LOVE watching people take the situations they're in, and make the most of them. I get so incredibly inspired by the kid taking orders at Taco Bell who when we pull up to the window, tells us to "Watch this!" and he greets the next car at the speaker with "Salutations! I will be with you in two shakes of that pretty lambs tail!" and laughs with us as we drive on. He's working fast food. In Arizona. He could so complain. Instead, he let's himself enjoy it. I love love love that picture up there because every time I see it it reminds me to appreciate everything I have.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing such a humbling story. I'm sure I'm not the only one, but I get this literal ache in my heart when I see homeless people or people struggling like that. PS I love reading your posts :)

    ReplyDelete